Thursday, September 27, 2012

Made in His Own Image: Guest Post

Please enjoy this guest post by a dear friend, Sarah Salcido 

After I returned home from a vision trip two summers ago, I started praying for an opportunity to get involved in our community with people who are marginalized in our society. I then became aware of Our Children Project, which is a ministry that involves spending time with children who live in a group home due to some type of immigration detention. What was unique about this ministry was that the volunteers would also meet together to go through a devotional guide on topics related to foreigners that are described in the Bible. Each volunteer came from diverse backgrounds that enabled us to wrestle through different cultural and political engrained views of immigrants, and helped us return to how God sees all people: made in His own image (Genesis 1:27). During these group discussions it become apparent to us that no matter what the situation, these vulnerable children at the group home are definitely loved and cared for deeply by our Heavenly Father because He created them.

I felt privileged to get to know the stories of the girls that lived at the group home and learned more about issues related to immigration. There was one time a young girl opened up to me about being devastated because she was going to be sent back to her native country even though all her immediate family are living here in the United States. I simply sat and listened to her pain. My heart broke for her and I felt like just listening to her story was not enough even though in that moment that was all I had to give.

Now that over a year has passed since I volunteered with Our Children Project I have seen how the Lord was doing a work in my heart as I sat in the pain of the young girl at the group home. Engaging in the pain and struggles that are often faced by immigrants has helped me to be more sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s leading with other opportunities to engage with those that are different or unseen in our society. If it is simply inviting an outcasted co-worker to lunch, approaching and praying for a homeless person, or entering in the pain of a struggling immigrant; there are many ways to show Christ’s love to others. In the way that the Lord is relentless in His pursuit of us, we as Christ followers can be the hands and feet of Jesus by pursing meaningful relationships with others who may feel unseen.

No comments:

Post a Comment