Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Immigrant Day 2011

The last 48 hours have been a complete whirl wind.

Monday night, a group of us from Solidarity headed to meet some friends in Santa Ana to catch a bus headed to our state's capitol. Once we arrived, we grabbed breakfast before taking part in the Inter Faith Prayer Service. I was honored to lead the prayer on behalf of the Evangelical Community. You can find what I shared here. One of the highlights for me was hearing Steve Li share about his incarceration last year and getting the opportunity to meet him in person. We spent lunch preparing for our afternoon visits with the Assembly members and Senators from Orange County. We were able to meet and share our thoughts on Immigration with Mimi Walters, Curt Hagman and Chris Norby, all of which were sensitive and understanding of our call for them to do the right thing! We also met with the staff of Jeff Miller and Alan Mansoor, which proved to be equally as exciting. It was so awesome to see democracy first hand and take advantage of the power we have as citizens to hold our leaders accountable. I'm already looking forward to next year, except I think I will fly...I might be getting too old for the drive all night thing.

Here are some pictures from the day!

Waiting for the bus

Sleeping on this bus proved to be impossible!

Sharing my heart for the Church at the Inter Faith Prayer Service

Proud to represent the OC!

Strategizing our Leg visits

Waiting outside one of the many offices we visited

I was so glad Viviana could join us representing her mixed status family.


Our OC Team


Although incredibly exhausting, this trip reminded me how life changing this work is and how blessed I am to be in this fight with so many exceptional people. I feel more confident than ever that we will see Comprehensive Reform in the next few years and I am really looking forward to all the Green Card and Citizenship parties we will be throwing in our neighborhood! I just hope the Church gets on board and realizes how important it is to be apart of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment