Sunday, May 1, 2011

Jesus loved Osama Bin Laden...and he loves undocumented Immigrants too.

May 1, 2011.

Osama Bin Laden is dead.

The world is celebrating?

Let me start by saying that I, as the wife of someone who lost his grandmother in the 9-11 attacks, know full well the devastation this man has caused. He did many evil things and was responsible for the loss of many innocent lives. Our society tells us that he most certainly deserves a torturous death. Our Americanism tells us "justice has been served."

But I have to ask, since when are we, as Christians, supposed to conform to the world around us? Our Jesus taught us another way. He taught us to turn the other cheek and to love our enemies. Why is it that we can preach this in such shallow contexts, but when it comes to something that challenges OUR country, we get lost in our patriotism? I am afraid far to many Christians were praying for Bin Laden's death instead of his salvation. Didn't Jesus love Osama Bin Laden? Didn't Jesus die on the cross for him, too? If we don't believe that God is big enough to save even the most evil doers, then what's the point? We should be lamenting the likely possibility that Bin Laden did not chose the love Christ had for him.

This is a blog about Immigration. So are you ready for the connection?? Here it comes....

We are Christians first. We are to adhere to the life God has called us to rather than giving in to our human flesh. Our human flesh is to protect our own, look out for ourselves, and stand against anyone who challenges our comfort. I am afraid this is the biggest block for Christians when it comes to embracing Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Simply put, people are scared.

The thing is I feel like we should be way more afraid of a meaningless and self absorbed life that happens when we lose sight of the revolutionary way God has called us to love and live. As someone who has been trying to love the "enemies" of so many Americans for a few years now, I know I would not be the person I am without these relationships. God has used my feeble attempts to love my neighbors as myself to draw me deeper into His purpose. I am so thankful for this because I have seen a small glimpse of God's Kingdom on earth. It has helped me to hope for a better way that I so desperately want everyone to see. What if we surpassed fear, ignorance, slander and mass-hysteria for the depth that comes with true faith? What if we looked at our so called enemies as Christ does?

Maybe I am idealistic, I think I am ok with that, but I am pretty confident that if we, as the Church, loved as Christ did, we would treat the "strangers among us" very differently. I also think we would not celebrate the death of someone who most likely will spend his eternity separated from God.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this I found your post through Jen Powell's comment on Fb. Jen and Justin and I work together in Europe. Appreciate your candor and point in this blog - and I love the title 'why I fight'. Peace,

    Rogier
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point, Beth! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany, I share your view. There was no joy last night watching people shouting and cheering over this man's death. While I am really glad he won't kill anyone else, Ezekiel 33:11 tells us that the Lord "takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked ..." Wouldn't bin Laden's repentance have been so much sweeter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. man, Jared shared this on my wall, we had a few hour facebook discussion along these same lines last night.
    Idealism is a beautiful thing, continue to apply it and it spreads.

    ReplyDelete